Add a New Phone Line
If you still have questions or prefer to get help directly from an agent, please submit a request.
We’ll get back to you as soon as possible.
- Get Started
- Patient Channel
- Patient Facesheet
- Collaborative Inbox
- Lines & Resources Requests
- Lines, Events, Resources
- Platform Settings and Configuration
- Users and Groups
- SMS Basics
- Troubleshooting and FAQ
- Conversation Builder
- Release Notes
- Technical Specifications
Table of ContentsSubmit Phone Lines and Resources Request to Support Request a New Number Text Enable an Existing LandlineAdd a Phone Line to PracticeUpdate User ResourcesNext Steps
Adding a new Phone Line to Artera cannot be done without the help of the Artera Support team. A new Lines and Resources Request must be submitted each time you want to activate a new Phone Line. The process for adding and text-enabling a new Phone Line takes approximately two weeks.
Reasons to add a new Phone Line:
- Send Automations (typically required when adding a new Location or Practice)
- Restructuring Resources to separate Phone Lines
- Manual patient outreach (e.g. billing, nurses, gaps in care)
- Send Campaigns
Submit Phone Lines and Resources Request to Support
When submitting a new Phone Line Request, you can have Artera purchase a new number for you (at no additional cost), or text-enable a landline that your organization already owns.
Request a New Number
If you request to have a new number purchased for you, it will work for Conversational Messaging. We recommend setting up call forwarding to a different number (such as a Main Line) so that you can receive patient calls if they call the purchased number. If no call-forwarding is configured, phone calls to the purchased number will simply drop.
Text-enable an Existing Landline
If you are text-enabling an existing landline phone number, a Letter of Authorization (LOA) must be signed by someone with a director-level or higher role in your organization. The LOA confirms that your organization is on record with the service provider as the service customer for the phone number you wish to text-enable, and allows Artera to use our telecom provider, Twilio, to send SMS messages on your organization’s behalf. The LOA will be sent via DocuSign from a member of the Artera Support team with an email address ending with @artera.io
Add a Phone Line to Practice
After submitting a new Lines and Resources request, add the Phone Line to the desired Practice by following the steps below. Check out this article on Phone Lines to learn more about Phone Line setup.
In your Artera Production environment, select the Practice where you want to add the Phone Line(s):
Navigate to Settings > Practice Settings > Lines:
Click Add a Line in the top right-corner of the page:
Enter a Line Display Name and the Outbound Phone number (10 digits, no characters):
Adding Resources to Phone Lines should be completed after the Phone Line is enabled and you have reviewed your Automations. This is because Automations associated with Resources added to Phone Lines that have not been enabled will not send.
Set Line Hours and After-Hours Auto-Response messages, if needed. Click here for additional information.
The Outbound Phone will show Pending until Artera completes the text-enablement process.
Update User Resources
Update User Line Permissions for the new Phone Line(s) or add new users to service the Phone Line(s).
- In your Artera Production environment, select the Practice containing the newly added Phone Line
- Navigate to Settings > Practice Settings > Users:
Add or Edit Staff User
- Add Staff User: Add user information, then associate the available Lines and Resources with that user. If you leave this blank, the user will not be able to see any available Patient Channels of communication. Tip: Use an existing user as a template to speed up new user creation. Click here for additional information on the process to follow when adding users.
- Edit Staff User: Use the (...) menu to select Edit User. Add the new Lines and Resources (Locations/Providers) to the user.
Next Steps: Updating Automations
Once you have received confirmation that your Phone Line(s) have been text-enabled, be sure to update your Automations. Follow the steps outlined in Updating Automations to ensure your Automations are set up for the newly added Phone Line.